Tuesday 25 March 2014

PLANTAIN AND PECAN MUFFIS


Ok guys here it is, my final instalment in the plantain series. I know this one took a while to come but believe me it is so worth the wait. When I started the recipe testing to use plantain in new ways this was the one I was most excited about.

I was super nervous throughout the process because I wasn’t sure if they were going to taste like I had imagined they would but as I took the first bite they were even better than I could have imagined. I am so in love with this recipe, it has definitely become one of my favourites.

These are real muffins, not those little muffins that are basically glorified cupcakes, these are big with a nice high dome and packed full of flavour. Now don’t get me wrong I love cupcakes too but its a bit disappointing when you are expecting a muffin and you get a small dainty cupcake, there is a time and a place for small and dainty and that time isn’t when I want a muffin.

This batter comes together so quickly and you don’t even need a mixer; one thing that i definitely recommend is resting the batter overnight. I have done this with all my muffins since I read about it in a cookbook (Bouchon bakery by Thomas Keller if you are interested) and I promise you it is completely worth it. Resting the batter gives the flour time to hydrate, thicken and build some gluten which gives structure and helps result in a tender, moist muffin when  baked.................................. in English that means rest your batter  J.




This is not to say it won’t be nice if you bake it right away but who wants nice when you can have over the top delicious? Anyway lets get into the recipe shall we?

Plantain and pecan muffins recipe adapted from sallys baking addiction

Ingredients

For the muffin
375g plain flour
4 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 large eggs
150g dark brown sugar
55g granulated sugar
250ml milk
125ml vegetable oil
1 medium very plantain, mashed with the black middle seeds taken out
2 tsp vanilla extract
105g pecans, chopped

For the pecan topping
1 tsp cinnamon
50g brown sugar
35g chopped pecans

Directions
Whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and the salt together in a bowl. In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, granulated sugar, milk, oil and vanilla.




Add in the mashed plantain and the vanilla and mix until combined.




Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and fold in the wet ingredients until just incorporated and there are no large pockets of flour left, don’t worry the batter will be lumpy. MAKE SURE NOT TO OVERMIX as this will give you tough muffins. Sorry didn’t meant to shout but that bit is really important.

Fold in the chopped pecans; place in the fridge and allow the batter to rest overnight.

When you are ready to bake line your 12-hole muffin tin preheat the oven to 220C. While the oven is preheating, mix together the ingredients for the pecan toppings.




Fill each muffin hole to the top to the top with the batter and sprinkle on the pecan sugar mixture. The paler muffins were sprinkled with the streusel I used for these muffins and they were just as delicious so feel free to use that instead if you want.



Bake at 220C for five minutes and then reduce the temperature to 190C and bake for a further 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.




 Enjoy your delicious yummy muffins!!!!

sorry about the lack of step by step pictures, i was so excited to make and these that I forgot!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment