Saturday 1 August 2015

SUYA SPICED CHICKEN OR TURKEY DUMPLINGS



Helllllllllloooooooooooooooo, anybody there?? I know its been a while since I blogged but I have had so much going on since the last time I blogged. I’ve moved house twice, gotten married and changed jobs amongst other things. Anyway I’m back with this delicious recipe that I hope will make up for my absence.

I’ve always liked experimenting with food, mixing cuisines and trying new takes on food. As anyone who experiments with food knows some are great, other not so much. One day I will take pictures of kitchen fails and post them up here; some of them are really bad. Sometimes I feel so sorry for hubby cause he has to think of creative ways to tell me that the result of my last 2 hours in the kitchen are a fail!

Anyway back to this recipe; I've always liked dumplings but I had never tried to make it before because I was too lazy to do all the chopping involved. A few weeks ago however Afrolems posted a picture of dodo gizzard dumplings and I thought that was pretty cool which got me thinking about other potential dumplings.


I loooove suya so naturally doing something with suya popped into my head; I experimented a bit and came up with this recipe and I have to say the results were delish! I made my own dumpling wrappers following the instructions on this post by use real butter. I weighed my dough balls for the wonton wrappers to ensure they were as evenly sized as possible. Feel free to buy wonton wrappers if you don’t want to make your own. The use real butter post has step by step pictures showing how to fold and seal the dumplings but I took the easy way out and used a mini a mini version of the folder I used for my chicken pies (find the recipe here).
If you are going to use a folder to help seal your


Lets get to it Shall we?

Suya Spiced Chicken or Turkey Dumplings

Ingredients
Makes about 20 - 30 dumplings

Filling:
225g turkey or chicken mince
4 closed cup or chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
2 spring onions, finely chopped
1 large clove of garlic minced or crushed
1 tbsp corn flour
1.5 tbsp groundnut or sunflower oil
1.5 tbsp chicken stock
1.5 tbsp suya spice
½ tsp minced ginger
½ tsp onion granules
1.5 cubes maggi
½ tsp knorr aromat all purpose seasoning (or your favourite all purpose seasoning)

Dough:
1 cup (125g) of flour
¼ cup of warm water


Method
In a medium sized bowl add all of the ingredients for the filling and mix together until everything is evenly distributed and properly combined.


Cover with clingfilm and store in the fridge while you make the dough.

Pour the flour into the bowl of your stand mixer; with the mixer on medium to low speed stream in the water and mix until the water is fully incorporated. Flour your work surface and pour the dough onto the floured work surface and knead till it smooth. The dough should be firm and not sticky.


If the dough feels sticky knead in a little more flour. Place the dough in a bowl and cover with a damp paper towel or napkin for about 15 minutes.


Lightly flour your work surface again and weigh out 15 g balls of dough. Place the pieces of dough on the floured work surface and cover with the damp napkin or paper towel so that they don’t dry out.


Roll out the dough into a circle; or if you are like me into as close to a circular shape as you can. Try to keep the dough circle as close in size to the folder as possible so that when you close the folder you pinch off a minimal amount. This helps ensure all the work you have done weighing your dumplings wasn’t a waste of time.


Place the dough circle onto the folder and add in a teaspoon of the filling mixture. Close the filler and pinch off the excess.




Place the dumpling on a lightly floured plate and repeat until all the dough is finished. If you have filling left over you can make meatballs out of them. To cook heat 1.5 tbsp olive oil (or any other cooking oil) in a frying pan over medium heat till hot (make sure you have a lid that will cover your frying pan; you will need it later). Place the dumplings bottom side down into the pan and cook until the bottoms are golden brown.


Add in half a cup of water and immediately put the lid on the frying pan. Be careful as the oil will start to spit once you add in the water. Keep cooking until the water has completely evaporated; take the lid off and leave the dumplings on the heat for a further minute.

Transfer to a plate and serve with your favourite dipping sauce or enjoy on its own. I served the chicken ones with some fried pepper sauce and I had the turkey ones on their own. They are delicious both ways.


Transfer to a plate and serve with your favourite dipping sauce or enjoy on its own. I served the chicken ones with some fried pepper sauce and I had the turkey ones on their own. They are delicious both ways.

Please make these trust me they are worth it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment