Sunday 2 March 2014

PLANTAIN AND SWEET POTATO MASH


Yes you read the title right, plantain in a mash.............................................

Plantain is something that I eat fairly often and just like most Nigerians I eat it in the same ways - dodo, boiled plantain or abatakoko. I am always looking for new ways to use ingredients and food items that I grew up eating and plantain has been on my tackle list for a while now.

My next three posts (this one included) will have plantain as the main ingredient but used in new and delicious ways; I'm pretty excited about this so lets kick things off.

This mash is delicious! seriously it really is, I'm not gonna lie I had my doubts but I am so happy that I decided to make it because not only is it scrummy it's super healthy and makes a great alternative to mashed potatoes.

Not convinced to make it yet? Did you know that plantain is a super food and that half a cup of cooked plantain contains about 3g of resistant starch that boosts metabolism and burns fat (source: health.com).


Bet you're convinced now huh? well here's the recipe,  enjoy :-)


Plantain and Sweet Potato Mash

Ingredients
2 large ripe plantains
200 - 230g sweet potato (about 2 medium ones)
1/4 tbsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
155 ml milk

Directions
Preheat your oven to 190C. Peel and chop the plantains and sweet potatoes into chunks making the sweet potato chunks smaller. Sprinkle the salt and drizzle the oil over the mixture tossing to coat all the plantain and sweet potato pieces.


Pour onto a foil lined baking tray and bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until fork tender.



Transfer to a large bowl and roughly mash using a wooden spoon.


Add the milk a little at time stirring to incorporate after each addition until your desired texture is reached

Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment