Tuesday 4 February 2014

NIGERIAN CHAPMAN


Do you love valentine’s day? I'm actually kind of indifferent about  the holiday itself and the Mr and I don’t always celebrate it, but I love all the pink red and white stuff everywhere and anything that allows me to cook pink food is OK with me J.

Chapman is one of my favourite things to have when I go home to Nigeria and with its bright red colour and refreshing taste (Oh gosh, I sound like an advert) it will make a great valentine’s day drink for you and your sweetheart.

There are a lot of different versions of chapman out there; some people use blackcurrant ribena instead of grenadine, some use Campari instead of angustora bitters and there are even some recipes that add zobo (hibiscus tea) but after some trial and error, I’m definitely team grenadine, angustora bitters and DEFINITELY NO ZOBO!!!!  


I like to make ice cubes out of the chapman mix and I use a mixture of those and regular ice cubes so that as they melt the drink is not watered down too much. This step is optional but I highly recommend it, it will help enhance your chapman drinking pleasure and be honest who doesn’t want that?
Angustora bitters has 45%alcohol and so please omit this if you want to serve chapman to kids.

Nigerian Chapman

Ingredients
120ml fanta
120ml sprite
20ml grenadine
10ml angustora bitters
Cucumber slices to garnish
Crushed ice

Directions
Mix 30mls of fanta and sprite 1 teaspoon of grenadine and half a teaspoon of angustora bitters in a small bowl, pour into an ice tray and freeze. 

 





Place three or four of the chapman mix ice cubes in a glass, add in all of the ingredients except the cucumbers and ice and stir to incorporate. 


Top up with as much ice as you want and garnish with cucumber slices and enjoy!




2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Thanks for sharing the recipe, please where did you purchase the grenadine and augustora bitters from.?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous, I got them both from Tesco. :-)

    ReplyDelete