Wednesday 6 November 2013

COCONUT JOLLOF RICE

COCONUT JOLLOF RICE



Coconut and I have a great relationship, I love everything with coconut in it from Thai curries, to macaroons to chocolate (mmmm.............. bounty); the exception to this rule however is coconut rice.

My first experience of coconut rice was terrible; I ABSOLUTELY detested it and have stayed away ever since (I know now that it was the way it was served that was the issue, with tomato stew!!!!!! Who does that???? If anyone offers you this never ever speak to them again, seriously it was vile).

I'd never heard of coconut jollof rice and so when I was at my friend’s house a few weeks ago and she announced that coconut jollof rice was for lunch, I thought to myself thank God she has Indomie.

She managed to convince me to try it and I fell in love.
I was so excited about this delicious new invention that I started calling everyone I knew to share the news but apparently there is some secret coconut jollof rice club because everyone knew about it.

So whether it’s new to you (welcome to the club) or something you already know about, make this dish soon and I promise you won’t regret it. 

COCONUT JOLLOF RICE

Ingredients
3 400g tins plum tomatoes
2 Scotch bonnet chillies (ata rodo)
1 medium onion
2 cups (500ml) chicken, beefor vegetable stock
1 red bell pepper
¼ cup (60 ml) sunflower oil
4 knorr cubes
½ tbsp of salt
1 tbsp curry
1 tsp mixed herbs
100g of coconut milk powder
1tbsp tomato puree (optional as it is mainly for colour)
700g long grain white rice

Directions
Purée in a blender the plum tomatoes, bell pepper, onion and chillies until smooth. 



Place the oil in a saucepan and heat over medium high heat for about a minute or until hot, and in the pepper mixture, the stock, the magi, salt, curry, herbs, purée and coconut milk powder. 

That's the coconut milk powder I used, I got it from Nigeria but I know Tesco sells a Maggi brand one in the UK

Stir and turn up the heat and allow to cook for about 20 minutes or until the oil starts to rise to the top.



Whilst the pepper mixture is cooking, rinse the rice and soak uncovered in hot water about 10 minutes. 



When the pepper sauce is ready, turn the heat down to low, add the rice and stir. I like to stir now because stirring later could promote burning. (I promise there is rice in the picture on the right)


Cover and allow to cook for about an hour or until the rice is soft, serve with dodo and enjoy.




This rice has a subtle hint of coconut, for an extra hit of coconut flavour, stir in an extra 25g-50g of coconut milk powder right at the end. 


No comments:

Post a Comment