Tuesday 10 December 2013

CINNAMON COCONUT DANISH SWIRLS


Ok guys I have finally decided to get into the Christmas spirit. I have been fighting against the fairy lights, tinsel and Christmas carols but I've finally given in and embraced it.

Over the next few weeks most of my posts will be Christmas inspired from recipes that would be great additions to your Christmas party, to home made gifts, to drinks etc. I'm getting excited just thinking about it all.

Anyhoo let's kick things off.  One of my favourite things about Christmas is the spices; cinnamon, all spice, nutmeg, cloves............. I looooove them which is why my first Christmas inspired recipe is cinnamon coconut danish swirls!

This recipe is super duper easy (I say that a lot don't I?) as I 'cheated' and used shop bought puff pastry. I mean let’s be honest you don't want to be stuck in the kitchen and then be too tired to enjoy all the festivities, but hey if you are a purist feel free to make your own puff pastry - it's ok, I'll still be your friend. 



ps I may have eaten two of these for dinner and another for breakfast the next day.

CINNAMON COCONUT DANISH

Ingredients
4 Tbsp of softened butter
1 tbsp of cinnamon
1/4-1/3 cup of sugar - depending on how sweet you want it
1/4 cup of desiccated coconut

500g puff pastry block
1 beaten egg


Directions
Preheat your oven to 190C (180C fan). Mix the softened butter, cinnamon, sugar and coconut until uniform. 


Lay a piece of baking paper on your table and secure in place with cellotape or dab a little water on the table under the sheet to hold it in place and sprinkle on some flour. 




Roll out your puff pastry block into a rectangle with a thickness of about 3mm (to make this recipe even easier u could buy the ready rolled puff pastry sheet, you just might need a little less filling because its not up to 500g). 



Trim the edges of your rectangle and spread on your filling evenly leaving a 1cm border all around.



Sorry guys, I forgot to take a picture of the filling spread on the pastry cause I was so eager to bake and eat this.Roll up your pastry tightly pinching the seam at the end to seal and chill the dough for 30 minutes to help make cutting easier.



I use a clean piece of thread or dental floss to cut my dough as I have noticed that this gives the cleanest cut.(To cut with the thread, slide the thread under the roll, cross it over and pull down to cut through).







Isn't this dough so pretty :-D

Cut the dough into 1 inch rounds and brush with egg wash. 


Bake for 20 - 30 minutes or until golden brown and enjoy! 


2 comments:

  1. I'm definitely gonna stay tuned! I know where Christmas lunch and dinner ideas are coming from!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will definitely get inspiration for christmas. I have a recipe i'm posting specially because I know your hubby will like it :-)

      Delete