Monday 15 June 2020

MOIN MOIN (POWDERED BEANS)

 

This is one I have been trying to get right for a while! I have flash backs of a burnt attempt at Uni; the house smelled burnt for days. Oh in case you were wondering we still ate it anyway….. we are not wasteful over here!

I have successfully made moin-moin with beans before but the whole soaking, peeling and blending process was such a faff I didn’t bother making it again. Then I discovered powdered beans and thought all my prayers had been answered, apparently not. Cue a slew of failed moin moin attempts including an odd one that leaked water when I pressed it and would not set up matter how long I cooked it. (I cooked it for almost 2 hours, yes I knew it was a no go after one hour. Can’t tell you why I kept going, also can't tell you why I was poking my moin moin).

Eventually with my sister’s help and guidance via Facetime from Canada (yay for technology) I got it right! I have made this multiple times since then and its success every time :-). I'm so excited to share this with you so let's go to the recipe! 

 

Moin-Moin (powdered beans) – makes 10

 

Ingredients

2 large eggs

2 bell peppers

4-5 white onions

1-2 scotch bonnet peppers

½ (125ml) cup of water

2 tbsp tomato puree

½ cup of oil

200g (1.5 cups) bean flour

1 tsp aromat

1 tsp salt

4 cubes knorr chicken

Additions of your choice – boiled eggs, mackerel, corned beef, chicken etc.

 

Method

Put the bell peppers, onions, scotch bonnet, water, puree and oil into a blender and puree until smooth.

 

Add in the bean flour and the eggs, and blend until smooth. Add the seasonings and blend to combine. Pour into a bowl and mix with a hand mixer or stand mixer for abt. 1 min to aerate. Alternatively you can mix by hand with a whisk or wooden spoon for about 10 minutes. 

 

Place 2/3 cup of the batter into each ramekin, foil dish, leaf, tray whatever receptacle you are using, sprinkle in the additions and seal your moin-moin. Place the moin-moin in a large pot and add enough water to come halfway up the side of the bottom layer of moin-moin.

 

Bring the water to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cover with a lid and steam for 40 mins – if your lid is not tight fitting add a layer of tin foil before putting the lid on. Check your moin-moin periodically to ensure that there is still enough water.

 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment