Monday 28 September 2015

NO FAIL FRIED RICE

NO FAIL FRIED RICE




Yup that’s quite the declaration in the tile isn’t it. Lol. I have been making this fried rice for years and so far it has never gone wrong. I hope you love this recipe as much as I do and it becomes your go to fried rice recipe. Its super simple to make; the ‘hardest’ part of this recipe is dicing up the vegetables.

I recently got back from Nigerian and I had such an amazing time. I’m still adjusting from holiday mode and dreading my next working day L. Why cant I just win the lottery already so that work can be a thing of the past? Ah well while I keep dreaming lets get back to this fried rice. I was never really a fan of fried rice growing up because i never liked all the vegetables in it. The times I did eat it I painstakingly picked out everything that was not rice in that plate before settling down to eat.

As I got older I decided to make fried rice myself because this way I could put only the stuff I liked in it. I asked my mum for a recipe and it was  all going well until she said ‘you have to constantly monitor the rice because you add the water in small increments making sure to add a little more water each time the water is about to dry up to stop it burning’. Sorry mummy but I was not about to start stand guard over a pot of rice, forget that.



A few years later a friend of mine made fried rice in her room at university and it was so delish and I didn’t remember her policing the pot of rice. She showed me how to make it and I have never looked back since. I make this fried rice using easy cook basmati rice; this rice tastes just like regular long grain rice but the grains a leaner and longer (and prettier!!). The easy cook refers to the fact that the rice has been pre-treated which helps ensure individual fluffy grains of rice and not sticky mush.  You can get easy cook basmati  rice in most major supermarkets.To make things even easier and faster I use a rice cooker. Lets get to it shall we?

No fail fried rice

Ingredients
900g easy cook basmati rice
1.4l of a water and stock combination (I used about 400ml of stock and 1l of water but feel free to use all water if you don’t have stock)
1 each of red, yellow and green peppers
2 spring onions – you can 1 small regular onion but make sure to finely dice
1 165g tin of sweetcorn
2 mild red chillies – these only add flavour and not heat
3 skinless boneless chicken thighs
100g uncooked peeled king prawns
2 tbsp sunflower oil
2.5tbsp Aromat –
4 Knorr chicken cubes
1 tbsp Onion granules – I would leave this out if you are using regular onions
2 tsp Curry powder
1 tsp

Method:

Wash and drain the rice according to the package directions. Place the rice and the water and stock mixture into the rice cooker and switch on.



Whilst the rice is cooking dice the peppers, spring onions and chillies and chop the chicken.




Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium high heat and add the chicken, 2 knorr cubes, half a tbsp aromat, 1tbsp onion granules, 1 tsp curry and stir fry for about 3 mins.



Add in the prawns and once they start to turn pink add in the diced peppers, spring onions, chillies and another tsp of curry, 2 more knorr cubes, 2tbsp aromat and 1tsp thyme. Stir fry for a few minutes until the chicken is cooked through.


Reduce the heat to low and in the rice which should be cooked. Stir to make sure everything is combined and evenly distributed throughout the rice.


And thats it!





Yup that's basmati rice all separate and fluffy and not a clumpy sticky mass. Try it, you know you want to :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment